Choosing food for diabetics has an important role to maintain blood sugar levels. Diabetic patients can not freely eat food. The reason is, if there is an intake , blood sugar levels can increase. For this reason, you must know what types of food for diabetics are allowed and not allowed .
Increased blood sugar levels in diabetics can risk health effects, such as fatigue, dizziness, nerve damage , kidney failure, heart disease, eye problems, more susceptible to infection and injury, even loss of consciousness or coma .
Diabetics need to be careful when eating food. Aside from treatment, diabetes also needs to be treated by following a special diet, called medical nutrition therapy. In diabetics, this therapy recommends the consumption of nutritious foods that are low in fat and calories, so that their blood sugar levels remain controlled.
The following are examples of good food choices for diabetics:
- Foods made from whole grains or complex carbohydrates, such as brown rice, roasted sweet potatoes, oatmeal , bread, and cereals from whole grains.
- Lean meat or skinless chicken.
- Vegetables which are processed by boiling, steaming, roasting, or consumed raw. Vegetables that are good for diabetics include broccoli and spinach .
- Fresh fruits . If you want to make it juice, you should not add sugar.
- Nuts, including soybeans in the form of steamed tofu, cooked for soup, or sauteed.
- Fresh popcorn .
- Processed products of low-fat milk, such as yogurt and eggs. Research shows that consuming unsweetened low-fat yogurt can prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Various types of fish, such as tuna, salmon, sardines and mackerel. However, avoid fish with high levels of mercury, such as tuna.
Foods that are avoided
For most Indonesian people, it is not satisfied if the dish menu is not equipped with white rice. Whereas for diabetics, this type of staple food should be avoided because it contains high sugar levels compared to other carbohydrate sources .
In addition to white rice, there are several other types of food that must be avoided if you want to maintain blood sugar levels, namely:
- White bread.
- Foods made from wheat flour.
- Vegetables cooked in addition to salt, cheese, butter and sauce in large quantities.
- Canned fruits that contain lots of sugar.
- Canned vegetables that contain high salt.
- Fatty meat.
- High-fat dairy products.
- Fried foods, such as fried chicken, fried fish, fried bananas, and fried potatoes.
- Popcorn is rich in flavor.
- Chicken skin .
If you have diabetes, it is recommended to eat homemade food. That way you can monitor what raw materials and additives will be used in food for you to consume. In addition to being smart in choosing foods for diabetics, you are also advised to regularly check blood sugar levels .
Types of various blood sugar tests such as fasting blood sugar test, temporary blood sugar test, hemogblobin A1c test (HbA1c), and oral glucose tolerance test. Consult your doctor to determine what type of blood sugar test is suitable for your condition, along with the appropriate dose of food for your body.
With a healthy diet, exercise, and the right treatment, blood sugar levels can be more easily controlled so that the risk of developing diabetes complications will be lower.